Saturday, April 9, 2011

Language Arts - Three Billy Goats Gruff

This week we introduce our Language Arts class by focusing all week on the old Norwegian tale of the Three Billy Goats Gruff. The first thing we did was talk a little bit about goats! I showed Erin this picture of 3 goats and asked her what she could tell me she knew about goats.


We talked about how goats live on hills or in mountains in the country. (She of course states, I saw goats the other day in the field by my house and we live in the city! We live in a highly rural area of town that is still being developed so I suppose she got me there! ) Then we talked about what goats eat - I said grass, she said clothes! (when we saw them at the petting zoo they tried to eat her shirt) Then we talked about their characteristics such as horns and hooves. Then we read the story together. I didn't actually have a copy but was able to find the story online here : http://storynory.com/2007/04/22/the-billy-goats-gruff/
It is an audio/visual version and the site has many other stories as well. I don't remember the story ending quite so violent and some small children may be scared but Erin seemed to think it was funny.

The next lesson we made sock puppets and retold the story using our puppets. Erin loved the hands on fun of making the puppets and getting to participate in the puppet show. (And we had something fun to show Daddy when he got home!) Here are some of the materials we used: socks, pipe cleaners, googly eyes, buttons, and fabric strips. I used the hot glue gun to glue everything on and after about 30 mins to let it set - we had puppets!!

For our final lesson of the week we made this super cute edible diorama of the story. As edible as it was Erin was so proud of her masterpiece that she didn't want anyone sinking their teeth into it! Here is what you can use to make yours:

  • 1 small paper plate
  • 1 knife
  • 1 spoonful of chunky peanut butter (dirt)
  • 1 spoonful of coconut (colored green for grass)
  • 1 large Frito (bridge)
  • 3 marshmallows (goats)
  • 1 purple grape (troll)
  • ½ of a blue Fruit Roll-Up (water/stream)


My 3 year old really seemed to enjoy all the fun way to reenact the story and my 9 month old really enjoyed hearing it and watching the puppet show. This is definitely a subject my girls will love! I can't wait until we start our new story next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...