Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Planting Knowledge



Today was our first lesson with Erin and Mikey so I wanted to do something that could be an ongoing project throughout the summer. What is more ongoing that watching (and waiting) for plants to grow! So today we learned about plants. What are the parts of a plant (roots, stem, leaves, flowers) and what do plants need (water, air, sunlight, and soil). I think the kids had fun coloring and doing these fun worksheets, especially the little book.  Its nice that Mikey is only one year ahead of Erin in school so he gets to brush up his knowledge this summer and help Erin learn new stuff! Here are some of the worksheets we used:

Their finished plant books
















Of course, after we did our desk work we needed something fun and hands on! So we went to the store and picked out some seeds to plant ourselves. We went with some little herbs because they are small and easy to start in a window seal in the house (and harder to kill since I myself do not have the greenest thumb!) The kids LOVED this activity. Since planting them I keep finding Erin in the kitchen starting at the pots wanting to see her plants grow. Haha, I have to keep reminding her that it takes a few weeks for them to grow big enough to see, that's why we have to make sure we water them and get them plenty of sunlight so they will be big enough one day we can use them for our cooking!! Here are some pictures of the kids planting their seeds!
















I have to admit I am waiting for them to grow too! I love using fresh herbs in my food! I am hoping to plant them in the back garden once they are big enough. Assuming that the dogs don't eat them first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...