Monday, May 2, 2011

Oilcloth Lunch Sacks - Teacher Appreciation Week

 This year I made oilcloth lunch sacks to take my kids' teachers their homemade goodies in. They are super easy to make and can be reusable for the teachers to bring their lunches in! 


I first made a pattern out of cardboard measuring 15 x 12. Cut a 2 1/2 inch square out of each bottom corner.
Take two pieces of oilcloth right sides together and draw around your template. Cut out. I used small clothes pins to hold the pieces together.
I used pinking shears to cut across the top (very optional- I thought it gave the edge a finished look)
Sew down each side and across the bottom. I used a stitch length of 5 and 1/4 inch seams on the entire bag. My machine handled the oilcloth beautifully, but If you have any troubles, Sew Mama Sew has a wonderful article on sewing with oilcloth.
Fold in bottom of bag bringing bottom seam and side seam together
Pin bag bottom to bag side with clips
Sew across on each side
Turn bag right side out and fold in top of bag about 1/2" and then top stitch
Measure about 2 1/2 inches from middle side seam on all four corners, finger press, clip with clothes pins
Top-stitch closely to the corner fold on each of the four sides
Finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...