Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Homestead Heritage

I was lucky enough to stumble upon this amazing place. Homestead Heritage is about 15 miles outside of Waco and when I read about it I knew it was time for a field trip! It is like stepping back in time to a simpler way of living. My husband thinks I am completely nuts for wanting to buy some land and live on a mostly self sustaining farm. When I was traveling through Europe I was always in awe of all the work that was handcrafted and wondered, what ever happened to the people learning those trades? I hope that my children will be able to learn at least one valuable craft in their life time. This homestead is completely self sustainable and they give classes on farming, ranching, and many other classic crafts ( I can't wait to take one and tell you all about it!). It was such a fun day watching all the "townspeople" hard at work and having lunch and ice cream in their restaurant (where all the food is made from what's grown/raised on property) They even have their own beautiful gristmill where they turn the grains into flour (and make some yummy mixes that they sell for you to bake in your own home. ) If you are ever in the Waco area or know of a homestead near you, I would definitely check it out!

Driving onto the Homestead

The blacksmith hard at work

Erin and the Blacksmith (sorry it is so blown out!)

Inside the Gristmill

Inside the Gristmill Store

The Mill wheel

Erin was happy to push Elleri around.

The fountain that pushes the water down to the mill

Erin by the fountain

Erin in the Fiber Crafts house

Making cloth

Mean ol' roosters!

A cute little calf that we named honey. :)

Had so much fun they passed out! Made the 3 hr drive back home nice and quiet!

The goodies we brought home from the gristmill, can't wait to try them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...